“She’s All That” ain’t all that

My original idea of a movie to review was Sharknado since the hype about it has been a tiny bit excessive, but as I pulled up Netflix, I sadly became aware of the fact that the film was not available for my viewing.  With this dilemma at large, I decided to settle on the film She’s All That.

My interest peaked when I read the caption about the film. It simply read, “Jock and class president Zack accepts his friends’ wager to make over geeky, bespectacled Laney into a prom queen beauty – – with unexpected results.”

With that conclusion, I mentally started brainstorming what “unexpected results” may occur at the end of the movie. My obvious answer was that she ended up winning prom queen and lived happily ever after with this obnoxious jock Zack, who decided to deceive her in the first place. I thought that was too obvious, it had to be more… depressing (for lack of a better word). I concluded that she did not win the candidacy but she did win the boy. Spoiler Alert! Just like I guessed the ending to all other 1990’s, over dramatic chick flicks, I was correct on this one as well.

Overall, I would give this Robert Iscove film 3 ½ out of 5 stars, not without explanation though.

Although the movie kept me sort of giggling throughout, it failed to present a few aspects that are important for an A+ movie. My emotions were not all over the charts in this movie. As bizarre as it sounds, if I didn’t cry, laugh, giggle, gasp and yell at the screen during the movie, then it does not deserve a high ranking. The reason She’s All That deserved even 3 ½ stars, though, is because it managed to make me do most of those actions but not all.

Where She’s All That did thrive was in the humor throughout and the connection I felt with Laney for the duration of the movie.

Simple humor came from little lines that have a double meaning. For example, Laney works at a meatball restaurant and one of the customers told her to “supersize my balls.” Needless to say I was giggling ferociously when that came out of his mouth.

The whole movie was just a 90’s, hilarious, insanely awkward movie. There was 90’s slang such as “Hoover it” and there were pagers- – dinosaur much?

I sympathized with Laney throughout because she is a geek that loves art and is suddenly approached by the most popular guy in school and she is scared out of her wits by it. She decided to go for it anyway and ended up falling for him and having him fall for her.

Overall, it’s not a half bad movie. Freddie Prince Jr. was cute and did a decent job acting for the 90’s, but he could not match up to the supporting rolls that Usher and Paul Walker were given. Those two were easily my favorite part of the movie, hands down.