Cat’s Corner features Artist of the Month

To celebrate the artwork of artists, De Soto’s coffee shop, Cat’s Corner, has introduced “Artist of the Month.” This is a new way to showcase student’s talent.This is a great way for the students in art to have more acknowledgment.

The artist of the month displays one or two pieces from the artists. This month of November features six artists and their artwork. 

One of the art teachers at De Soto Mrs. Mikendra Gotham explained what the art department looked for in picking the first artists. 

“I choose students based on their skill development, [that is] expressed through their originality, creativity, effort, craftsmanship, and attention to detail in the artwork they made,” Mrs. Mikendra Gotham said.

All of the artwork is featured in the coffee shop along the walls by the tables. The names are listed under the pieces.

One of the artists Sam Finell talked about the initial reaction and feeling of getting selected. 

I was a little surprised because I didn’t even know there was such a thing. It’s cool to know that people in school can see my art.”

With that the special part of the Artists of the Month is that all the pieces are unique and specially made.

“My main inspirations during my art process are mainly things I’ve seen online over the years. I take ideas I’ve seen in the past and combine them with ideas I make in the present for whatever I’m working on at the moment,” Finell said.

Every artist’s inspirations vary and the coffee shop now has a way to highlight De Soto’s students’ artwork. To showcase many artists’ art, the next showcase will be going up in the beginning of December.

Cats Corner can now feature new artists’ work every month for the whole school to see.  This is even exciting for students who are not in the art department. As one waits for their coffee they can enjoy their time looking through all the masterpieces that were created.

Alongside that, Cat’s Corner has been able to showcase and support the Fine Arts Department. The future of Cat’s Corner’s  decision on Artist of the Month makes the artists of De Soto branch out to take a chance to have their artwork shown.