Seniors pursue music in college

Wildcat Photo

Senior Chase O’Bannon prepares to march at the home football game on Oct. 25, 2019.

Erin Pickert, Feature Editor

After high school, there are endless possibilities as to what one might pursue. Students attend colleges across the nation, enter the workforce, join military branches, start businesses and more. For some at De Soto High school, music is calling their name.

“Music has provided an outlet for me to be involved and feel like I’m a part of something bigger and something that I really enjoy,” senior band member Abby Martin said.

Martin is considering staying involved with the University of Kansas marching band while earning a degree at Johnson County Community College. She also hopes to remain involved with the DHS marching band after graduation.

Martin is excited to grow as a musician as well as create more friendships through music in the future.

At John Brown University in Siloam, Arkansas, senior Chase O’Bannon is planning on majoring in Music Education, as well as joining the university’s jazz band. There, he could continue his music passion through playing percussion. According to O’Bannon, the school is well-equipped with percussion equipment.

The choice to pursue music had been obvious to O’Bannon.

“Music is just a passion of mine and I want to keep doing it,” O’Bannon.

O’Bannon is also excited about the new experiences that playing in college will bring him.

“I’m most excited about how everyone will want to be there and we can make some really amazing music. I’m really excited,” O’Bannon said.

For senior Connor Cravens, he is most looking forward to the larger performances in bigger venues that collegiate bands offer. 

According to Cravens, it has been a passion of his since middle school and he is excited to continue his music career at Pittsburg State University in Pittsburgh, Kansas. 

These students have all found a special passion of music throughout their years in high school.

“My favorite part [of band] is the big impact points of really powerful music, like sometimes they definitely make me cry, I have to admit,” O’Bannon said.

Martin feels that she found a place of belonging among her fellow band members.

“I saw how many people I could be friends with and how many people really needed friendship, and in band I think that’s just a place you can find that no matter what,” Martin said.

Martin is thankful for band director Matt Bradford and her parents because, “if it wouldn’t be for them, I probably wouldn’t be in band at all and even Mr. Foster in middle school also helped me realize that music was a way for me to express my feelings and who I was,” Martin said.

Martin, along with other students at DHS hoping to pursue music after graduation, is excited for the chance to grow as a musician and a student.