Art 2 students get the opportunity to make and hang up their art work throughout De Soto High School

Example of an old mural painted by DHS students in 1999.

Maya Bascom

Maya Bascom, Ads Manager

De Soto High School takes great pride in making sure that the students can express themselves and make DHS their own. The newest project that DHS has taken on to push for this idea is through the Art 2 classes.

Every class is allowed to make different murals in small groups. The murals are not permanent, but will be hung up around the school in sections where most people don’t usually travel.

Art 2 teacher Heathyr Shaw thinks it’s a great way for the students to express themselves.

“When I first met Mr. Mortenson, we talked a lot about how we love art  because it is a way for students to express themselves and really feel comfortable owning who they are,” Shaw said.

Students, like junior Kendall Schmitt, of the art class are really enjoying this project so far.

“I think this project is really fun because everyone will see the art that we create and not just our classmates,” Schmitt said. “And I feel like it’s a super cool idea, especially with some of the ideas being interactive pieces for people to take pictures in front of.”

Some ideas from different students are DHS butterfly wings, to mimic the downtown angel wings in the art district, which would allow people to take pictures in front of it. Another idea was a clock, where an era would be represented in each time slice, starting the decade that De Soto was started.

Another part about this project is that if one art piece were to really stick out, then it could be made permanent, which junior Zekkiah Hird thought was very good motivation.

“Some people might still do the project half heartedly, but knowing that you could have the opportunity to paint your art piece on the walls to be permanent really made me and my group want to make the best project out there,” Hird said.

The art students are excited to start the projects and many students who aren’t in the class, like Sophomore Taylor Ellis, are enthusiastic about the projects as well.  

“It’s going to be cool to take pictures in front of some of the murals,” Ellis said.  “But I’m most excited to see all the projects throughout the school because they will make the halls more interesting and give a touch of student life to them.”