Scholars Bowl team prepares for upcoming season

There are many sports and activities offered for students at De Soto High School to participate in. One such activity that many students are involved in is Scholars Bowl.

The Scholars Bowl team has received many awards over the past few years, including a three-year streak of State championships from 2010-12.

The 2014 season begins on Oct. 30, as the team looks to build off of last year’s third-place finish at State. Practices are held in English teacher and head coach Philip Hamilton’s room from 3:30-5:00.

As for expectations for the year, Hamilton is optimistic.

“I expect our team to grow, and for us to have some new senior leadership this year,” Hamilton said. “Hopefully we can win a tournament this year, because we didn’t actually win one last year.”

All students are able to join. Typically, younger and newer members to the team are on the junior varsity team to start.

The growth of the program signifies imminent improvement, according to Hamilton.

“I’m really excited because I think our JV team is going to be even better than ever before,” Hamilton said.

Students who are involved in fall sports will not be able to join right away due to practicet conflicts, but are encouraged to join after the conclusion of their seasons.

Overall, Hamilton feels that the season will be a good one.

“My expectations are that we’re going to have an awesome season, our team is going to grow, and we’re going to be competitive,” Hamilton said.

Scholars Bowl is an activity that any and all students are encouraged to join. If a student is interested, he or she can simply show up to a practice.