Drumline routine drums up excitement

Between the junior varsity and varsity boys’ basketball games on Feb. 21, the De Soto High School dance team will perform its third annual drumline routine. This tradition, started by former dance coach, Hallie Friend, is one that both fans, dancers and drumline look forward to.

Fans agree that the routine is different from the dance team’s typical routine as it adds another dimension using live music. They think that it makes the routine more dynamic and engaging for the audience.

“They really compliment each other, and it brings out the dancer’s talent with the rhythmic beats. I thoroughly enjoy listening because it adds interest to my eyes and ears,” senior Billy Crady said.

The dancers agree that the live music helps them connect to the audience. They argue that the drumline routine is one of the most fun routines of the year.

“It gives audiences more to look at and shows that dance team is supportive of other activities,” senior dance team co-captain Mackenzie Mathern said.

The drumline appreciates the routine as it allows them to play a variety of music that they would not ordinarily attempt. It adds diversity and depth to their music abilities as they are forced to try new styles of music.

“Besides the fact that we have a lot of fun doing it, we get to dance in the process and that’s always fun,” drumline captain Connor  Kennard said.

However, the completely live performance allows for a higher possibility of error. Dance captains Morgan Riley and Mathern do not feel like this will be a problem for them.

“We practice at the beginning with a recording of a drumline , so we know when all of the hits and crashes are going to be. That really helps us prepare. Of course, there is always a chance that they could speed up, but as dancers it is our job to adapt,” Mathern said.