Musicians prepare for Solo and Ensemble competition

On April 13, numerous members of the De Soto High School band and choir will attend KSHSAA Solo and Small Ensemble Festival at Baker University to demonstrate their individual instrumental and vocal abilities. For many seniors, this  contest is their favorite musical event of the year.

“Through this competition, you finally get to see how you are as a solo artist as opposed to in a big band or choir. It is so personalized. It better reflects the actual capabilities of each musician,” said senior  band president Laura Meyers.

Band director Matt Bradford recognizes the importance of this festival. He views this contest as an opportunity for the band members to grow.

“This is the best opportunity for students to advance as musicians. At my previous school, I had to beg members to participate. I am so excited that at DHS students see the opportunity are actually excited about it,” Bradford said.

This excitement is transferred to the choral group as well. Choir director Maryetta Copeland is extremely enthusiastic about this competition. She believes that the contest helps the students grow musically and it also spurs social growth and positive qualities that can be utilized throughout life.

“It teaches students work ethic, how to correct mistakes, and gives them more confidence in themselves. They also gain valuable experience in communicating,” Copeland said.

Both Bradford and Copeland are extremely confident in their students’ capabilities. Bradford and Copeland are confident that as in previous years, all groups will be successful.

“People don’t realize that music is in everyone and this allows the students to show off their musical gifts,” Copeland said.