Students react to announcement of musical

De Soto High School students will be performing the musical Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat this spring and many students have different reactions to the selection.

The musical is based on the Biblical story of Joseph, a man with 11 brothers and the ability to interpret dreams. His brothers become jealous of Joseph’s relationship with their father and the coat his father gives him, and they sell him into slavery.

The show’s dialogue is mostly sung with very little spoken lines. It includes various styles of dance and music. There are fourteen solos in the show.

Many DHS students are disappointed with the decision of the musical.

“They do plays that nobody knows and no one comes to them,” sophomore Gabby Stephens said. “If they did something like Grease or Wizard of Oz, a lot of people would come because they think it’s cool and they know about it.”

“They spend money on these [performances] and they want people to come and see them. Who’s going to come and see something that they don’t know what it’s about?” Stephens said.

Sophomore Victoria McMoran agreed with Stephens, saying that she wouldn’t see something that she knew nothing about.

“They need to do something that people know, because I’ve never heard of this musical before and I bet half the school hasn’t heard of it,” McMoran said.

Although she was disappointed at first, senior Lindsay Everson said she was excited to be in the musical.

“When we saw the clues, I was definitely excited because I thought it was going to be West Side Story . I freaked out because I love West Side Story, and then it wasn’t. So it was a little disappointing,” Everson said. “I would love to do a big show like [Grease or The Wizard of Oz] but we don’t have enough men to pull off a show like that or money.”

However, not all students are disappointed with the decision. Students like sophomore Bailey Thomasson are looking forward to auditioning.

“At first I didn’t know what it was,” Thomasson said. “But the name sounded pretty cool. I personally think it’s going to be awesome.”

Auditions for the show will be held on Dec. 11, 12 and 13 in the choir room. Students wishing to sign up can do so on choir room door and must learn and perform a 32 count dance. Anyone wishing to have a solo must prepare a one minute long song.

All in all, the students at DHS have varying opinions of the decision, but at the end of the day, DHS theater always puts on a good show.