Spirit squads welcome new coaches

This year the De Soto High School dance team and color guard have welcomed completely new coaches.

Mckenzi Crow, the new FACS teacher is the dance team coach. With a history dancing in high school, she thought that coaching for DHS would be a great job.

“I was on the dance team in high school, and I absolutely loved it,” Crow said. “And I danced for two years at K-State.”

Last year was her first year as a teacher and her first opportunity to coach. She was excited to do it again this year.

As for changes to the team, Crow does not see any major “changes.”

“We’re just trying to bring all of the girls closer and be a more unified team,” Crow said. “I love it. The girls are great. They work really hard and I’m happy with the way that things are going. I’m excited to see the way that things go for the rest of the season.”

Sophomore Gabby Stephens is excited to welcome the dance team’s new coach as well.

“It’s good to have her as a teacher, because then you can go to her for dance team information,” Stephens said.

Crow is very happy to be able to both work at DHS and coach the team.

The DHS color guard also gained a new coach this year.

Tarin Clay has been involved with color guard since she was a freshman in high school and then through her four years marching at the University of Kansas.

After becoming the coach of the DHS color guard, Clay also doesn’t have any plans for change.

“I think that the color guard program works fairly well here. I love that there’s already a winter guard,” Clay said. “I can’t imagine making any major changes.”

Clay is very happy to be working with the guard at DHS and is excited to see where the year goes. She is looking forward to see if more girls join the winter guard.

“I really love my time here. The girls, I love every single one of them. They’re so great. They really care,” Clay said.

Both coaches are working for a stronger year with greater performances.