Six students up for Shooting Stars award

Shooting Stars is a scholarship program for young artists in the Johnson County area. It encourages creativity in young artists and gives them a means to achieve their goals. To date, thousands of high school seniors have been recognized with the Shooting Star award.

De Soto High School’s fine art’s teachers are excited to see the outcome of the competition and think the contest is a positive thing for the community.

“It’s a really unique opportunity for our students in Johnson County because there’s not much like it in the area,” art teacher Tim Mispagel said. “The teachers can know the students, and nominate someone who the feel is most eligible.”

“It is the most challenging competition we have, greater even than regional or state because we’re in competition with all the Johnson County schools,” vocal music teacher Mary Etta Copeland said.

DHS has had many nominations in the contest in years past. This year there is yet another line up of artists going for the prize in each of their respective categories.

This includes Katie Hammond in the 2D art category, Anna Henning in the 3D art category, Philip Kaul in instrumental music, Hannah Stevens in vocal music, Owen Moore in theater and last, but not least, Rick Clancy in technical theater. Each of the nominee’s respective teachers had many things to say about how they think each nominee will do at the competition.

“I think Katie Hammond’s 2D portfolio makes her a pretty promising candidate for her category. She’s been working really hard on it. She has put a lot of time, energy and effort into it. Hopefully she comes out on top,” art teacher Scott Ledbetter said.

“Anna has put the a lot of time in and has a diverse style with a backing of a fair bit of community service. All around she has a good shot at the scholarship,” Mispagel said.

However, candidates are not only chosen on their work, it takes more than just talent to get a nomination.

“Owen Moore has been involved in theater since his freshman year and he has been a leader throughout that time. Rick has been involved in the technical aspect of the shows since the beginning. Both Owen and Rick are also involved in thespians and community service activities,” drama teacher Erin Purifoy said.

Outside of art and drama categories, Kaul and Stevens have been nominated for their musical talents at DHS.

“Philip is playing a two-movement piece that was written by a faculty member at KU and it’s pretty hard. I listened to it Tuesday, it’s not easy, but he’s doing a really nice job with it. I think he’ll do very well,” band director Emma Willis.

“Hannah was nominated because she has been very successful in the field of choir since her freshman year, and she’s a great leader in the community here,” Copeland said.

Overall, DHS students are setting up for an exciting competition and have a shot at prizes such as college scholarships, awards and honorariums all funded by private donations from corporations, foundations and individuals. The ceremony for the awards will be held on the Johnson County Community College campus at the Nerman Museum of Contemporary Art & Yardly Hall on April 1 at 3:30 p.m.