Dance team has success during competition season

The De Soto High School Diamonds Dance Team recently competed at the Miss Kansas Dance Competition at Olathe South High School. After weeks of intense preparation, their hard work paid off after receiving showmanship, choreography and a sweepstakes award.

The team performed three routines together: A Hollywood inspired number, a Rihanna mix and a Lollipop- themed prop routine. DHS was represented by sophomore Callie Lane and freshman Sydney Webb who performed solos, and freshmen Emily Hess/Gabby Stephens and sophomores Mackenzie Mathern/Kelsey Plake who executed duets on Friday night. On Saturday, captains senior Danielle Dowdy and junior Rhiannon Caldwell performed their officer routine as well as the team routines.

The Diamonds will compete again this weekend at the Kansas Spectacular Competition. Last year the team scored incredibly well. Captain Danielle Dowdy expects nothing less.

“I am very excited for this weekend. Last year we did amazing. But this year I have even higher standards and we have unbelievably amazing dances choreographed by Cora Schimke and our coach herself. We have a lot of talent on the team. I hope we can surprise the judges and the audience will approve,” Dowdy said.

The team performs their Rihanna mix at 1:44 p.m., their Lollipop mix at 5:56 p.m., and their Hollywood inspired routine at 6:56 p.m. on Saturday. For more information on performance times, talk to the dance team sponsor Kim Dowdy.