Wildcats qualify school-record seven wrestlers for State

Wildcats+qualify+school-record+seven+wrestlers+for+State+

The De Soto High School wrestling team qualified a school-record seven grapplers for State at the 4A Regional wrestling tournament held at Spring Hill High School, Feb. 17-18.

As a team, the Wildcats finished in fifth place, trailing four teams that are all ranked in the top-10 of the 4A polls.

The State qualifiers included Cole Cannon (182 lbs) and Hayden Chandler (285 lbs), who both won individual Regional championships, Daniel Goodin (3rd-160 lbs), Hunter Miller (4th-106 lbs), Josh Miller (4th-152 lbs), Jeremy Slitor (4th-195 lbs) and Shane Schramm (4th-220 lbs)

Other wrestlers at the tournament securing wins for DHS included Devon Freeman, Isaac Stevens and Dallas Robinson.

“We were pretty happy we got all four seniors qualified for State and three freshmen that made it too, so that’s going to help out our future,” head coach Shannon Sawner said.

Sawner is hopeful for this weekend’s State tournament, which will be held Feb. 24-25 at the Bicentennial Center in Salina.

“The State tournament is what counts, so we hope we do well this weekend,” Sawner said. “We’ve got some guys, we can hopefully bring back some hardware. Maybe get some medals.”