New rewards system isn’t as bad as it may seem

This semester De Soto High School launched a trial reward system for the current juniors and seniors. The upperclassmen had to achieve a certain GPA and attendance record to get either a Platinum or Gold card. Each card gave privileges such as getting dismissed from school five minutes early every day or not having to attend seminar the first week of the month.

As soon as the cards were introduced to the junior class there were complaints. It was automatically compared to the Wildcat Card we had a few years before, even though it is entirely different.

Previously, the rewards included percentage points that could be added to a class, days out of seminar and even a day off of school.

According to upperclassmen, the rewards are not as good as they have been in the past. However, underclassmen did not experience the previous rewards, and they are happy with the new reward system.

This reward system wasn’t based around the same ideals as the last card. Because of how different the rewards are upperclassmen don’t consider it as useful.

Many of the students that obtained this card participate in an after school activity, and they claim it is useless. I thought about it in a completely different way.

Leaving five minutes before school ends gives me the time I need to gather my things from my locker and make it at least to the parking lot by the time the bell rings. I am able to beat some of the initial traffic, and if I have somewhere to be, it gives me extra time to get there safely.

I have heard some seniors complaining about how the new system not being useful to them because they have shortened schedules. That was a privilege they chose to have, but there are still some seniors that have a full schedule who benefit from the cards.

If you have an after school activity or practice, it gives you time to prepare for that without being rushed and without hallways becoming too crowded to make your way through.

As a cheerleader, the ability to leave early has helped me with time management. Being able to leave at 2:50 gives me a of couple extra minutes to make sure I have everything ready for the game and be back in about an hour and a half.

Futhermore, this is just a trial run for upperclassmen, half of whom won’t be at DHS next year. When the cards were first introduced, Associate Principal Kris Meyer explained that not everything is set in stone. Standards to receive a card may change a little bit before the start of the 2014-15 school year. Rewards could be tweaked based on student opinions also.

Just remember, with all the complaining and negative opinions, the rewards could be taken away just as fast as they were given.