Sophia Templin selected as Youth Delegate to UN

De Soto High School junior Sophia Templin is one of four girl scouts from of NE Kansas and NW Missouri who are representing Girl Scouts of the USA which began Feb. 27 at the 56th Session of the Commission on the Status of Women at the United Nations Headquarters in New York City.

Templin is a junior class officer, member of NHS, managing editor for The Green Pride, member of Madrigals and participates in Debate, Youth Court, Lite Team and softball.

In addition to her duties as a Youth Delegate, Templin is assisting the blogging efforts of PLAN International’s program “Because I am a Girl,” a campaign to fight gender inequality, promote girls’ rights and lift millions of girls out of poverty.

>>>> Visit the blog at http://becauseiamagirlscout.tumblr.com/ . <<<<<

The objective of the Commission on the Status of Women is to raise awareness for women, build equality and to eliminate discrimination against women across the world. Teen delegates will spend the week with non-governmental organizations (NGO’s), United Nations agencies, country missions and other youth delegates from around the world.

The girls will take part in four discussion areas:

• Economic empowerment of rural women and their role in poverty and hunger eradication, development and current challenges.
  • Engaging young women and men to advance gender equality.
  • Financing for gender equality – structure and state budgets.
  • Nation experiences in implementing the agreed conclusions on financing for gender equality and the empowerment of women.

“As the largest leadership organization for girls in the world, we strive to provide girls an opportunity to discover new skills, connect with others locally and globally and take action to make a difference in the world.   The Commission on the Status of Women will give our girl delegates an opportunity to learn new skills, share their ideas, collaborate with others globally and ultimately take the lead to make a difference in the world,” Gina Garvin, Director of Brand & Marketing said.