Where has the compassion gone?

Where has the compassion gone?

There are many controversial things that are currently going on. But something that has always been up for debate is homosexuals and their rights in our country. Whether it includes their rights to marry, to adopt children, be foster parents and even get a job. Although I firmly believe that sexual orientation shouldn’t matter in such cases, some believe it should, and they take that into extreme measures. Fred Phelps, an 82 year old man who lives in Topeka has been known nationally for his indescribably hurtful actions. Phelps and his supporters would go to funerals and tell their family that their deceased loved one was going to Hell. If their child was gay, he’d also tell them, “God hates fags.” Not only is this affecting our nation, but it is affecting students here at De Soto High School. Every day in the halls I repeatedly hear the words “gay” and “fag” numerous amounts of times. And if there was one thing I would expect to see more of, it would be support from my school for all of those who are gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender. I think respect is a huge thing and our school is purely lacking in it and can be very insensitive. I have always been very family oriented, and the reason as to why this subject is so important to me is because a few of my closest relatives are gay and transgender.

There are an increasing amount of students that are not “out of the closet” yet. And I would bet that a huge contributing factor as to why they have not been able to come out is because of peers teasing, and families urging them to be something that they are not because of religious views, (which is their prerogative, and there’s nothing wrong with believing that).

Although religion is a huge factor in all of this and everyone is entitled to their beliefs, regardless to any belief, an open mind is something that is very important. Especially when someone is suffering from depression or considering suicide because of being bullied because of their sexual orientation or anything for that matter. Bullying has become such a huge dilemma throughout our generation. People (particularly teenagers) are now capable of using the Internet and electronics to get through to people. Now, I don’t know about you, but there is nothing that I cannot stand more than a person being bullied for being who they are. Whether it would be to their face, through the Internet or test messaging. Sexual orientation does not define a person. Words can hurt and stereotypes are always being used to judge those that are divergent to others.